Friday, January 27, 2012

Day Twenty Five...3 Little Monkeys...

Today is a half day from school so we are home by lunchtime. Grace's friend Lindsay has also come over to spend the afternoon. They are always wanting to spend time together, and Lindsay is like an adoptive daughter to me.
So while I am making lunch the kids decide they are going to play outside and climb their tree.

Grace and Lucas learned how to climb our front tree a few months ago and have virtually been living in it every given chance. They even rigged a pulley and bucket system so they can pull up snacks and what not. I even found Lucas sitting up there one day reading a book!
Watching them in that tree reminds of the hours and hours my brother, sister and I spent in our tree.

My dad bought our first house when we were little kids based on the the ginormous Liquid Amber in the backyard.
It was a gorgeous tree, probably about 20 feet tall. Lush green leaves in the summer, perfect for hiding in. And the most stunning array of colored leaves in Autumn. Many days were spent raking leaves so we could jump in the piles! We even had a tire swing hanging from a low thick branch.
The 3 of us spent so much time in that tree, playing games, hiding from our parents and spying on the neighbors.
The tree grew spiky balls that when dipped in mud and left to harden made perfect weapons when fighting with one another. Every few years the cicadas made their appearance, singing their ear splitting tune and shedding their hard shells all over our tree. 

I'll never forget those years of climbing our tree, the hours spent laughing and plotting with my brother and sister. That tree was ours, our haven, our hide out, our place.
So, watching my kids play in their tree brings back so many fond memories and I love how they are making theirs.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you!