Friday, February 17, 2012

Day Fourty Six..and the award goes to...

Sooooo incredibly proud of my girl - Honorable Mention Award for her project for the Science Fair.
There was some stiff competition this year - its amazing to see some of the work and creativity that these kids have. I felt pretty good about Grace's experiment but seeing all the other boards, and how many were there - well, you just never know how your kid is going to compare.

As a parent you want your kids to succeed - you want them to be winner. I know that's not real life and realistic to always be a winner - but sometimes you can't help wishing that "this time" they should.

I talk with my kids a lot about doing their best, that they should feel good about their work and if they know in their hearts they did their best and they put forward the effort then that's good with us.
Not everyone can get the trophy or 1st prize - that you aren't always a winner. That there is way more in life than just that.

I love helping my kids - I want them to be outstanding - but I also want them to learn how to do things on their own - to take ownership of anything they are working on. To have pride in what they do. To stand on their own two feet.

No, Grace didn't do this project on her own, I helped her. But the majority of the work was her - she performed the experiments on her own, she took all the notes and wrote her work up. She helped with putting the board together.  I enjoyed working with her on this but the ownership is all hers. And I am so glad she was recognized for that.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you!