Sunday, January 29, 2012

Day Twenty Seven...Old school...

Thank goodness for the great weather today!
My dryer decided it was going to quit working on me today. And I can't get a new part until next week sometime. Of course I had just done all the towels and bed sheets. With no dryer, and no washing line. Bummer.

Gosh, how I miss my good ol' Hills Hoist!!

Americans, well at least in California, don't know the concept of a clothes line - I wonder if they even know what one is?!
When I moved here I was baffled - how was I going to get my clothes dry?? The thought of putting everything in a dryer was so foreign to me - and to this day I still rebel and hang dry a lot of my things.

I remember as kids swinging on our clothes line - around and around we would go - like a merry go round.
On hot summer days we would rig up the hose to the washing line, and lay underneath, water spinning around like some fancy water park. I remember washing all my Barbie clothes, and pegging them all up in a row.
Towels would come off all stiff and crunchy but smelling like sweet sunshine.
To me a washing line symbolizes a typical Aussie backyard - wouldn't be right without one!

Each time I go back home I find some gadget, some do-hickey that I can use to dry my clothes that I can't bare to put in the dryer. I have cute little spinning hangers, and the coolest over the door rack that I cant live without.
And today I was so glad I had my folding rack - at least I got the towels dry in the gorgeous sunshine - can't wait to fold those stiff crunchy buggers!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you!